One of the best things about our Summer program at Sack-a-Wa Canoe Club is the regattas! You can find all the regatta dates at ADCKC and where the regattas are being held. The draw list (list of an athlete’s events, which lane, and what time) will be posted on the Friday before each regatta, also on the ADCKC site.
Here is a quick downloadable pdf for you to keep showing dates of Sackawa’s Regattas: Regetta Schedule
What is a Regatta?
The first thing you need to know about regattas is it is a chance for athletes to compete (race) against other clubs, in different boats. Our athletes look forward to racing all summer long, a regatta is exciting and fulfilling for both athletes and viewers.
What to Bring:
- Enthusiasm and lots of Sack-A-Wa spirit
- Water (and lots of it!)
- Snacks – Try to stay away from high sugary snacks, bring healthy food such as: Fruit, yogurt, Trail-Mix, Granola bars, etc…
- Sunscreen & Hat
- Change of clothes
- Singlet – Don’t forget this as it is manditory to race!
- folding chairs/Blanket
- life jacket & bun
- bathing suit
- Appropriate shoes – sometimes regatta sites can become wet and muddy
- Umbrella/Rain jacket just in case
- Some parents like to bring binoculars to watch their kids race
- Optional: Money. There are often clubs that will sell different items for fundraising, there is also often a canteen on site.
Athletes won’t be racing every minute, so bring something for them to do in their spare time, such as a deck of cards, a good book, of even your iPod.
If you have any questions, please take a moment and ask your child’s coach.