One of the best things about our Summer program at Sack-a-Wa Canoe Club is the regattas! You can find all the regatta dates at ADCKC and where the regattas are being held. The draw list (list of an athlete’s events, which lane, and what time) will be posted on the Friday before each regatta, also on the ADCKC site.
Here is a quick downloadable pdf for you to keep showing dates of Sackawa’s Regattas: Regetta Schedule 2017
What is a Regatta?
The first thing you need to know about regattas is it is a chance for athletes to compete (race) against other clubs, in different boats. Our athletes look forward to racing all summer long, a regatta is exciting and fulfilling for both athletes and viewers. Regattas are all day long, so you will need to come prepared, here is a list of things that you will need.
What to Bring:
- Water (and lots of it!)
- Snacks – Try to stay away from high sugary snacks, bring healthy food such as : Fruit, yogurt, Trail Mix, Granola bars etc…
- Change of clothes
- Singlet/atom racing shirt – Don’t forget this as your child needs this to race in!
- folding chairs/Blanket
- life jacket/life belt & bun
- bathing suit
- Appropriate shoes – sometimes regatta sites can become wet and muddy
- Umbrella/Rain jacket just in case
- Some parents like to bring binoculars to watch their kids race
- Optional: Money. There are often clubs that will sell different items as fundraisers, or there is often a canteen.
Athletes won’t be racing every minute of the whole day, so bring something for them to do in their spare time, such as a deck of cards, a good book, of even your iPod.
If you have any questions, please take a moment and ask your child’s coach.
Please make sure to tell your child’s coach if your child will be attending the regatta or not! Everyone gets busy and it is possible that not all regatta dates will work for everyone. The coaches need to know if you child is attending or not in order to put together teams for the crew boats and war canoe. Your cooperation is appreciated!